Clearwire has changed their name to Clear - The name may have changed, but the company has not!

Has Clearwire/Clear ripped you off? You're not alone! Join us in the fight against Clearwire!

Please send us an E-mail with your experience, and have it featured on the main page!
Help us educate others on the true side of Clearwire!

Visit the User Forums and join in a discussion! / Follow us on Twitter!

Another Lawsuit Filed Against CLEAR/CLEARWIRE! (January 19th 2011)

Submit your story!

Netflix User = Bandwidth Hog – User Submission by Jim P.

April 3rd, 2011 | by admin |

After far too long (I’m a patient person) putting up with the “buffering” bar on my blu-ray player’s Netflix screen, I dug in to find the root of the problem. Multiple speed tests, multiple online chats, and multiple phone calls to clear have me more irate than I have been in a long long time.

My download speeds are consistently 0.6Mbps. That’s dial-up speed!!! I finally got transferred up to the “speed issues” department (or whatever they call it) and spent 30-40 minutes arguing with a technician about it.

He claimed that my “excessive bandwidth” was causing my speed to be throttled and that “95%” of the other users never hit that level. Perhaps I had an unsecured wireless access point? Perhaps my computer had a virus? Not the case! I can verify that my ONE computer is up to date on all security patches, virus definitions, and software updates. There is virtually no bandwidth being used by it most of the time. The culprit is very likely the blu-ray player we got this Christmas. We use it all the time for Netflix and Pandora. There’s nothing wrong with that. I can’t in a million years see how that can be called “excessive” yet the technician told me that watching “a netflix movie or two during prime time would likely be enough to put me in the dreaded high-usage category” On their own webpage: http://www.clear.com/discover it states: “Unlimited Data: With our unlimited 4G data plans, you get all the internet, all the speed and all the data you want, virtually whenever you want it.” THIS IS AN OUTRIGHT LIE!!!

The tech repeatedly claimed that I could indeed download “all the data I wanted”, just not at the rate that I was expecting. This is what they call “Unlimited” data?!?!? I told him that would be like going to an all you can eat buffet but only allowing you to eat one spoonful of food an hour. Who would put up with that? NOBODY. I’m certainly not going to put up with this horrible service any longer. I’m shopping around. I’ve avoided the “evil empire” of Comcast for a long time, but I’m actually thinking about giving in. At least the people I know who use their service haven’t had these kind of issues.

1. 9 Responses to “Netflix User = Bandwidth Hog – User Submission by Jim P.”

2. By reporter on Apr 4, 2011 | Reply

Hey Jim – I’m working on a story about Clear’s service and would love to talk to you if you’re willing. If so, post a comment and let me know. Thanks.

3. By dave d on Apr 4, 2011 | Reply

I can give you internal e mails for your story as well showing how they pump up theri numbers i f you are interested .

4. By reporter on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Hi Dave – Thanks for the info. Let me know how to get in touch with you.

5. By Jeff Scott on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

I’ve had Clear for over a year now and have had nothing but problems…slow connection speeds, dropped calls, no internet service. Today is the 5th day in a row with problems. Everytime I call I get the same recording about them being aware of the problem and having techs working on it. The problem is that they will still charge you unless you call and complain. I call that stealing from your customers.

6. By dave d on Apr 5, 2011 | Reply

Jim I do not want to post any of my info ona public message board. Why dont you create an e mail that we send our info to you that you post here. What city are you in a nd what type of story and what paper are you going to put this in

7. By SL LiedTo on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

I will be breaking contract and filing a BBB complaint and with the FCC and TX State Attorneys General on Monday. I was lied to — I move around a lot and asked 2 very specific questions before getting service in Round Rock TX a year ago: (1) if I move where there is no service or poor service coverage, is the contract closed without penalty and (2) can I set up my account without an automatic billing. Both lies. I had to close my credit card account on file so they cannot charge me again and for an ETF, even though I am moving to the Galveston at the East end and their coverage map shows no coverage. When you look up coverage on that map it says there is none for that area. However, if you go to one of their advertisement pages to sign up and put in 77550 as the zip code, it is all ready to sign you up! The rep. disappeared to all new contact numbers and does not reply to my emails regarding. I have called many times this year about the service being down — I don’t even bother with SLOW. They like to claim I have never complained before or no one else has complained. I was down for half a day once. When I first signed on, the rep. came to my house and we discussed how I could stream Netflix using their service and save in comparison to other services. Good thing I never used it for that after reading complaints about throttling users who stream a lot. I was never informed this could be considered inappropriate use. The word “unlimited” was repeated over and over again. The speed has never been comparable to DSL or cable. I am setting up AT&T DSL at the beach house. I am more than glad to give info for a story or sign on to a class action suit, but not on this public board. So reporter, please post a phone number where we can call you and verify you are in fact a legitimate reporter. Thanks.

8. By Admin on Apr 7, 2011 | Reply

I can verify that the reporter is legitimate. I spoke with her the other day. Contact her through email at liane.cassavoy [at] gmail [dot] com. She’s a reporter for PCWorld.

9. By Ryan (Hawaii) on Apr 13, 2011 | Reply

I have had the same issues. The only reason I still use clear is because I signed up back in 2007 and I have them locked in for the lifetime rate of $29.99 a month and when they got the 4G upgrade they couldnt charge me more but my speed doubled.
    But… I am also having issues with the bandwidth cap. I REALLY noticed it from March to April. It seems to be getting worse. In mid March all of a sudden my speed went to nothing. Then magically on April 1st it was full blast again. It was blatantly obvious that they impose monthly bandwidth caps.
    I really wish I could find someone better but for the money I can’t find anything. I just dont feel like paying $80-$100 a month.

If you guys know of other reasonable options please do tell.

1. 1 Trackback(s)

2. Apr 21, 2011: Clearwire SUCKS [dot com] » Blog Archive » Clearwiresucks.com mentioned in PCWorld Article – “Many Unlimited Tech Services Appear to Have Limits”