Clearwire has changed their name to Clear - The name may have changed, but the company has not!

Has Clearwire/Clear ripped you off? You're not alone! Join us in the fight against Clearwire!

Please send us an E-mail with your experience, and have it featured on the main page!
Help us educate others on the true side of Clearwire!

Visit the User Forums and join in a discussion! / Follow us on Twitter!

Another Lawsuit Filed Against CLEAR/CLEARWIRE! (January 19th 2011)

Submit your story!

September 9th, 2009 | by admin |

Hi Folks,
I am an unsatisfied customer, dealing with Clearwire for the full 2 years of my contract (It’s almost time for my parole hearing in hell! :-)). This is intended to be a guide to those of you trying not to get stuck with the early termination fee or any recharges after you have canceled.
1. Call the customer service line 1-888-CLEARWIRE at some point to find out the exact date of the end of your contract. (I know, this is the 21st century, and they are an ISP, which means they should be able to receive, read, and answer emails, but still, in order to accomplish anything with this company, you will need to put on your best corporate pleasant voice, and be ready to be on hold for a long time.) Please avoid being mean to the poor peons who work in their customer service dungeon. It’s the company’s policy that makes them this way, so try not to make it personal.
2. Once you know the final date of your contract, wait until you are in your last month of service, and send an email to support@clearwire.com and let them know you wish to terminate all services from them upon the final date of your contract. Then, call the customer support number 888-CLEARWIRE, and inform them you are checking to see if they have received your email. If all goes well, you will be able to tell them you are trying to cancel your service at the end of your contract term, and that you want to make sure you are not charged either an early term. fee or any extra months as a result of renewal of contract without your consent.
3. After putting you on hold for a while, you’ll get to talk to a customer service rep. who will ask you all the silly questions they are forced to ask anyone who wants to leave. Be honest, but not mean. I said something like, “I love the idea of mobile anywhere internet, but the way your company has implemented the service is abhorrent. I will be happy to consider you again once I start seeing reviews that say you’ve changed your ways.” They will try to sell you on their new Wi-MAX service, which I would have jumped on if they had offered me a “We’re really sorry for being such dicks to you for the past 2 years, so here’s a HUGE discount, and a no-obligation trial period for our new service, if you will promise to stop saying such bad things about us to everyone you know.” Then, they will offer you a 40 dollar gift/credit card if you will recommend the service to anyone (so they can mail your modem, which you’ve probably kicked around for 2 years), to the new customer. I told them I really wouldn’t feel good about recommending the service to anyone. Once you’ve been through all of that, they should be willing to send you a UPS label for returning your modem. Print it out asap, and make sure to send that modem in BEFORE your contract term. date, but AFTER the date of your final payment.

In this way, you should be able to cancel your service without any charges. Notice I didn’t say without any hassles. Everything involving Clearwire’s customer support is a hassle, so just bear down and get ready for it. Again, don’t make it personal with the rep, unless they insult you first ;). I like to spread mirth and cheer and ask them to please help me, as it’s just time to move on etc. etc…

The moral of the story is this: customer service should never make it this difficult for a customer to do anything at all. Customer service should bend over backwards to do what you want them to do, or if impossible, make it worth your while to continue paying for a service that doesn’t meet your needs. Lastly, customer service should make it easy for you to decline paying for the service if it really can’t meet your needs. Let’s hope that clearwire’s story makes it mainstream, and companies begin to see that just because we pay a bill doesn’t make us happy to do so.

1. 11 Responses to “How to properly cancel your subscription with Clearwire – User Submission by Paul G.”

2. By Jim on Sep 11, 2009 | Reply

Clearwire claims to be able to “stream media” while your on the go. Great, I have 4 sometimes 5 and when I try to watch netflix movies it stops to buffer movie ” Because my internet connection has slowed ” according to Netflix. This happens 5 – 6 times per movie and will pause anythere from 1 min to 10 min.
    Wow! by then I’ve lost interest in the movie and my wife is pissed off because we can rarely finish a movie.

One would think that you would be able to get out of the contract for the simple fact that I don’t know anyone who can actually stream video with out interuption. What a bunch of crap.

Internet Speed Test – goto
    I get under 1 mbps
    and about 600k upload speed
    When I was with Qwest I could reach 7 mbps !!
    and stream HD. Awesome!

What in the hell was I thinking!!

3. By Hans on Sep 14, 2009 | Reply

Paul’s excellent advice above might work if it were possible to even get through to Clearwire. I have made numerous attempts to call customer service, but all I ever get is a recording telling me to “call back during our regular business hours,” even though I’m always calling during those times. I’ve visited a retail location and been told to call them. I’ve tried finding a way to cancel within my account on their website, which I now know is impossible. Clearwire is trying to cover up from their shareholders the fact that their terrible service is driving away new and old customers alike. Blocking our ability to cancel our accounts by making the customer service line unavailable is a egregious breach of contract. The class-action buzzards are circling…

4. By Sarah on Jun 16, 2011 | Reply

I have had clear for 9 months, when I first got it it was fine, after about a month it slowed way down, it drops the internet all the time. I take online classes and I really cant take having it drop my connection in the middle of a test. I want to cancel my service and get working internet but i dont want to pay a huge fee. I dont know how much it would even cost to cancel because the chat people dont know and neither di the regular customer service people. Any idea how I can cancel this awful service without a huge fee?

5. By Paul Van Slyke on Jun 20, 2011 | Reply

I’m trying to cancel my account now. I am moving out of the country and have had clearwire for more than two years. Everytime I call, they tell me that they are having a problem with their computers and can’t help me cancel at this time. WTF? When are their computers going to work, so that I can cancel my account?

6. By Matthew D on Jun 28, 2011 | Reply

I work for for clear retention/ account services..we get paid and make living NOT to cancel your account…we have rebuttles, banded aid fixes, and offers for every thing u can imagine…if all else fails u have a good chance of being Hung up on or transferred , you will go though help if u try to cancel if service…I hate my job sooooooo much and this company is so crooked….if want to cancel raise get a supervisor …make then put in a ticket to waive cancellation charges …we are also required to five Direct TV down your throat..no .matter how.angry you are…this company treats us like crap, keeps u in fear and forces us to comply..everybody working there gossips plays games sleeps around …etc. it a joked!!!! .If u get clear it insane…trust me don’t do it.

7. By Ariel on Feb 5, 2012 | Reply

I can’t believe it! I used Paul G.’s guide to properly cancelling my subscription (which, don’t get me wrong, was a big help!) and still ran into problems!

I set myself up for a future cancellation date, for the end of my current billing period to be exact. Fine. Everything went smoothly and the man in retention didn’t offer me a thing (which I thought was strange). Anyways, not long after receiving confirmation that I had been cancelled for my future date, web browser ONLY takes me to a Clear page saying that before I resume regular browsing a member services person would like to speak to me. Whenever I’d click to speak with someone to get it over with, it’d take me to a second page that’d say, “Oops! There is a problem. Reference error code: VCP0040″.

I called Clear and told tech support in the Phillipines that I was having technical problems (like many of us, right?) and they said they’d restart my connection from their end and that everything should be fine. It was, for a little bit. The next thing the same except connection issue. After calling Clear 2 more times the connection issue stopped and there weren’t any problems. In fact, I was getting the best service from Clear on my last month than the whole year and a half I’ve been with them! So, I’m not complaining, until I get a mysterious $2.10 charge in my e-mail saying that it’s been charged to my credit card. Now, some people might think “$2.10. Whatever.” but I can’t stand being played with so I took action. I called my credit card company FIRST to dispute the charge, seeing as how according to many peoples’ comments here, Clear will take you for a ride and take SOMETHING from you. THEN I called Clear to question it and I couldn’t believe what I was told.

The Filipino woman I spoke with told me that the $2.10 was a service charge for restarting my modem on their end. Now, because of horrible service, I’ve had to have my modem restarted MANY times in the past and have NEVER been charged, especially for THEIR connectivity problems. But here I was getting charged now at the end of my service with them. She told me she’d speak with the manager and have the charge waived. Now, get this– because I called about that measly $2.10 I come to find out that my cancellation wasn’t “properly” submitted the first time and that I have to go through cancellation again!

So luckily that call was still made before the end of my original cancellation date and SUPPOSEDLY it was done right. I was on hold many times for the same reason (the Filipino guy I was transferred to for cancellation would say he had to do something, put me on hold, then come back, talk to me a little more, and put me on hold to go do the same thing he originally put me on hold for. This happened a total of four times). We’ll see how things go from here. To be continued…

8. By LATONYA WHEAT on Oct 22, 2012 | Reply

I CANCELLED MY CLEAR WIRE SERVICE AND THEY ARE STILL TAKING MONEY OUT OF MY ACCOUNT

9. By talbet on Nov 9, 2012 | Reply

I just got done cancelling mine. After reading the horror stories, it wasn’t as bad as I expected. First thing I did was blocked them from my checking account. Waited the three days that took to go into effect then called them to cancel. Didn’t want any funny business. Called and there’s no way to get a live operator. Finally hit #2 for technical support and got a real person. Told her I wanted to cancel, she asked why, I told her I lost my job (works every time) , and she was good with that and transferred me over to customer service. That guy was very persistent and offered me everything but the kitchen sink to stay. I told him I use the phone for internet and can do everything on there. And stood my ground, told him I know he has to try to make me stay but I really am going to be cancelling the service. Finally he gave up. I got an email verifying the cancellation so there’s proof should Clear ever try to come after me. Hope this helps someone.

10. By Nick on Jun 5, 2013 | Reply

I just called and got through to the cancelation department immediately. They did offer 3 months for $20 per month if I’d stay, I agree with the original post about being nice and treating the customer care representatives with common curiosity. I declined the offer a few times and they apologized and canceled the service. I received a conformation E-mail as well. Total time took about 15min

11. By john marken on Jul 25, 2013 | Reply

Couldn’t last the two year contract. They claim 6+mps and ability to stream. Sometimes such as 3am it goes that fast but most of the time it is under 1mbps which is only good for email. I’ve gone through all their trouble shooting stuff several times. What a waste of time. I use the standard internet tools such as speedtest.net, netscantools etc. I’m not bad at routers and network configuration so its pretty easy to see its throttling between he modem and the local node due to their inability to handle the traffic. They do indeed throttle by type of traffic.

Cancelled. takes forever. After saying we are cancelling due to poor service they try to offer to charge less. Not worth it to me.

So we’ll do the early termination fight. fun. yea. At least my cheap ass DSL is much better though slower than cable or fios of course but way better than clearcrap.

12. By Charlie on May 7, 2014 | Reply

I plan to cancel my clear account and service. I think it would be prudent to first get another service. Then I will stop the bank from making payment to Clear. With all the horror stories I have read and terrible signal I get, I do not want to be without internet service. This company needs to be investigated by the FTC. I am sure they will try to bill me by mail. Once I request termination of service I will not give these crooks one more dime.